Feb 6, 2011

EXPLORATIOLNS IN IMAGE MAKING : THE BEGINNINGS


The beginning explorations for a project about how I understand my cultural heritage as most of my interactions with it seem fragmented and fantasized within my past and memories. My depictions of my Asian relatives, particularly my great aunt and grandma and my experiences with them, and therefore my experiences with Japanese culture, however far removed from Japan itself. How does this influence me and inform my identity?

So far this is an image made to explain my interpretation of my great aunt Satoko. The green color for a faint memory of her old room, her never failing ability to wish those around her good luck and happiness even when her life has brought her much pain and injustice. Her ability to remain happy and peaceful throughout all the turmoil brought on by relocation to the US during WWII and the life it left her to lead once released with no job or home working job to job from factories to strawberry fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment